United Nations Ambassador Nikki Haley announced that the United States is withdrawing the controversial U.N. Human Rights Council on Tuesday, calling the 47-member council “a protector of human rights abusers, and a cesspool of political bias.”
Haley, who many view as one of President Donald Trump‘s strongest officials, made it clear that the United States’ threats are not idle, and that America would no longer waste time, resources, and energy on a group that allows human rights abusers to sit on the council aimed at protecting human rights.
“We did not see any progress,” Haley said, explaining that the U.S. has remained patient and gave the council more than a year to show that it was serious about actually addressing human rights violations being committed by nations around the world.
Referring to it as “an organization that is not worthy of its name,” Haley slammed the U.N. for allowing nations like Venezuela, China, and Cuba to remain on the council despite a myriad of evidence that they have been committing human-rights violations.
Here’s part of what Haley said:
“I want to make it crystal clear that this step is not a retreat from our human rights commitments. On the contrary. We take this step because our commitment does not allow us to remain a part of a hypocritical and self-serving organization that makes a mockery of human rights. We did not make this decision lightly. When this administration began 17 months ago, we were well aware of the enormous flaws in the Human Rights Council. We could have withdrawn immediately. We did not do that. Instead, we made a good faith effort to resolve the problems.”
The Trump administration has been railing against the U.N. council for over a year, decrying that it is inherently biased against Israel, while protecting human rights abusers. Last year, Haley warned that the U.S. would no longer tolerate the council showing “chronic bias” toward Israel, America’s strongest ally in the Middle East.
Haley argued that the U.S. believes remaining on the council would lend it credibility, and that America will only rejoin when reforms are made.
The major move is also part of Trump’s “America First” policy, where the U.S. ensures that all of its decisions, deals, and partnerships are in the best interests of the American people.
As many would agree, it is ridiculous for the U.S. to remain part of the council — and pay annual dues, which come from taxpayers — when several of the members were guilty of committing the very crimes they claimed to be against.
It makes no sense for China, Cuba, and others to be part of a human rights council when their governments have been accused over the years of failing to protect citizens and ensure their safety.
In fact, Libya was part of the council up until roughly seven years ago, but was kicked-out for being one of the worst human rights violators in the world. Libya even being allowed onto the council in the first place is just another scathing example of how the U.N. created a bogus council that is collecting tens of millions of dollars from the 47-members.
The council has made it clear to many that it could care less about protecting human rights, which is evidenced by allowing countries with communist regimes as part of the group.
Many are applauding Haley and the Trump administration for leaving the “cesspool” that has been protecting human rights abusers for years while collecting massive paychecks from U.S. taxpayers.