Revisionist History Fight

PUBLISHED: 7:07 PM 8 Sep 2020

Trump Warns “Revisionist History” 1619 Project Could Lose Federal Funding

This so-called information has been blasted by scholars since it was released, and now President Trump intimated that schools that force it on students will lose federal funding.

The work contains falsehoods. (Source: On Demand News YouTube Screenshot)

Many historians and scholars have blasted the New York Times’ propaganda instruction, 1619 Project, as a skewed, revisionist history designed to increase ignorance and perpetuate lies used to push the leftist agenda.

However, some public schools have decided to include the indoctrination, and now President Trump has intimated that they could lose federal funding.

Fox News reported:

President Trump said Sunday that the Department of Education is examining the use of the New York Times Magazine’s 1619 Project in schools, and warned that institutions that teach this alternative narrative of American history could lose federal funding.

The project is based on the premise that American history began in 1619 — cited as the date African slaves arrived in Virginia — and that everything following this should be viewed through that lens. The Pulitzer Center released a school curriculum based on the project, and Trump responded to a tweet stating that California would be using it.

“Department of Education is looking at this,” Trump said. “If so, they will not be funded!”

Trump’s tweet echoes the sentiment of a bill Sen. Tom Cotton, R-Ark., introduced in July. That bill proposed denying funds to any school that uses the 1619 Project in its curriculum. At the time, schools in areas including Chicago and Washington, D.C., had already amended their history curricula to reflect the project’s messages.

The project, created by Nikole Hannah-Jones, was awarded the 2020 Pulitzer Prize for Commentary. However, multiple historians have criticized the series of articles for multiple inaccuracies, including the argument that the American Revolution was fought not to achieve independence from Britain, but to preserve the institution of slavery.

In a statement, Cotton called the project “a racially divisive, revisionist account of history that denies the noble principles of freedom and equality on which our nation was founded.”

Breitbart News reported:

The president was asked by a reporter why he rejected the idea of the New York Times 1619 Project claims after Trump threatened on Sunday to defund California schools if they implemented the curriculum.

“I want everybody to know everything they can about our history,” Trump said during a press conference at the White House. “I’m not a believer in cancel culture. The good and the bad. If you don’t study the bad, it could happen again.”

“The 1619 Project,” developed by the New York Times Magazine, argues that America’s true founding date wasn’t 1776 but 1619 — the year that slaves from Africa were first brought to the colonies.

“We grew up with a certain history, and now they’re trying to change our history, revisionist history,” Trump said after he was asked about the project.

New York Times reporter Nikole Hannah-Jones falsely claimed in her project that the Revolutionary War was fought to preserve slavery, a concept that was immediately challenged by historians but won a Pulitzer Prize anyway.

The president criticized the ongoing campaign against American statues and monuments, specifically referencing a proposed plan in Washington, DC, to remove or rename some of the country’s greatest federal monuments.

“This is the big stuff, and they want to rename it, they want to redesignate it, they want to take stuff down,” Trump said, referring to buildings, statues, and monuments of founding fathers such as George Washington and Thomas Jefferson. “No, we don’t do that. Not going to happen with me, I guarantee you that.”