Saudi Killer Escaped

PUBLISHED: 2:00 PM 24 Dec 2018
UPDATED: 7:57 PM 24 Dec 2018

‘Remorseful’ Saudi Killer Allowed To Escape Oregon

According to officials, the Saudi national who was here on a scholarship, escaped justice with the help of the Saudi government.

Abdulrahman Sameer Noorah escaped justice in Oregon after possible intervention by the Saudi government.

Abdulrahman Sameer Noorah was about to be tried for the death of a 15-year-old girl, but two weeks before he was scheduled to appear in June, 2017, a black SUV pulled up to his home in Southeast Portland.

The private car drove the 21-year-old Portland Community College ‘student’ to a sand-and-gravel yard two miles away where the criminal sliced off the tracking monitor he had worn around his ankle for months, according to interviews with federal authorities.

He then discarded it at the scene before vanishing, leaving Oregon prosecutors furious. They knew he was a flight risk, but he was still allowed to post bail.

“Law enforcement officials now say they believe Noorah got an illicit passport and boarded a plane — likely a private carrier — to flee the country.”

“The Saudi government has routinely worked to help its citizens facing criminal charges in the U.S., just as the United States helps its own citizens abroad. Some helped by the Saudis later attempted or succeeded in fleeing the country.

“Its consulate posted a $100,000 bail for a Saudi national accused of rape in Utah in 2015. Police later arrested the suspect, Monsour Alshammari, at the U.S.-Mexico border and he was sentenced to a year in prison after pleading guilty to the charge, according to court records and media reports.

“Federal court records in Oregon show the Saudi government also bailed out Ali Hussain Alhamoud from the Lincoln County Jail in 2012 after he was indicted on multiple sex crime charges, including first-degree rape.

“Alhamoud, who records show was living in Corvallis at the time, managed to board a plane in Portland on the same day he was released and returned to Saudi Arabia, according to a criminal complaint. His case, previously unreported, remains open in Lincoln County.

“Now 25, Alhamoud is still at large. He’s listed as a wanted suspect by the international police organization Interpol.”

In August 2016, Noorah was speeding west along Southeast Hawthorne Boulevard when his gold Lexus illegally swerved around traffic that had stopped for the girl and struck her at 55 to 60 mph, police said.

The victim was just weeks shy of her 16th birthday but she died at the scene.

Witnesses at the time told police that the driver didn’t stop and continued speeding down the road, and when authorities booked him, he had 17 parking violations as well as a suspended license for driving uninsured at the time of his arrest, according to court documents.

“Records show Noorah had been a student in Portland since 2014 and received an $1,850-a-month stipend from the Saudi government for living expenses.

“A grand jury later indicted Noorah, elevating the charge against him to first-degree manslaughter, which carries a minimum prison sentence of 10 years.”

Somehow, he was portrayed as the victim by the people who ‘knew’ him.

“He really did get to a point where he couldn’t function,” his landlady reporte. “I thought there was no way he was going to survive jail.”

He received permission from his release supervisor, Deputy Kari Kolberg, to study at the community college on June 10, and to take his final exams.

“That afternoon, according to investigators, a GMC Yukon XL arrived outside Noorah’s home on Southeast Yamhill Street and picked him up.

“GPS data from Noorah’s monitor bracelet shows he traveled east along Southeast Division Street until the SUV arrived at Portland Sand & Gravel on 106th Avenue, prosecutors said.

“He then cut the monitor from his ankle and threw it outside the company’s sprawling, multi-acre property, according to investigators.

“Kolberg, Noorah’s release supervisor, didn’t learn of his disappearance until the next night when she returned home from a weekend trip that took her outside cellphone range, the District Attorney’s Office said. Kolberg, who declined an interview for this story, contacted Overstreet immediately.

“Overstreet’s first thought was that Noorah had killed himself, he said. He and a police officer assigned to the Marshals Service used a cadaver dog to search the sand-and-gravel property and an adjacent city park, he said.

“They discovered the ankle monitor on the ground and obtained surveillance video from a nearby business that showed the GMC Yukon pull out of Portland Sand & Gravel, authorities said. The time on the video corresponded to the time on the GPS log that indicated Noorah had removed his monitor.

“Officers searching his home later found a bag packed with clothes and electronic devices, including a computer and cellphone Noorah apparently left behind in the haste of his departure.”

Officials are still investigating, but there is little hope this man will face punishment for his crime in the United States.