A recently released report on Friday revealed that the 19-year-old gunman who carried out the mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in February requested help months before he carried out his attack, but the school district did not take any action. The chilling report shatters the liberal gun control argument that banning assault weapons would have likely prevented the attack and lends credence to those who say the school district failed to take any action when it was aware the shooter had reportedly made a slew of concerning comments before he carried out the massacre.
According to The Daily Beast, Broward Circuit Judge Elizabeth Scherer ordered Broward County Public Schools on Friday afternoon to release its final report on Nikolas Cruz, the gunman who killed 17 people during the school shooting in Parkland, Florida earlier this year. Many would argue that the report shows there is no excuse for why so many failed to take any action when there was apparently a multitude of chilling warning signs surrounding Cruz.
The Beast reports that Cruz was told that “he could transfer to Cross Creek, a school tailored for students with special needs; sue the Broward school district; or stay at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School without any special counseling.”
The report also states that the BCPS investigation determined that the school district “did not follow the requirements of Florida statute or federal laws governing students with disabilities.”
Per the report, the school district failed in two specific instances:
1. “School officials misstated [the shooter’s] options when he was faced with being removed from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School his junior year, leading him to refuse special education services.”
2. “When [the shooter] asked to return to the therapeutic environment of Cross Creek School for special education students, the district ‘did not follow through.'”
The Beast also states that at age three, Cruz was identified as having developmental brain delays and was “reportedly stripped of counseling services and left to fend for himself as a ‘regular student'” when the school district did not inform him that he was reportedly entitled to “special assistance” if he chose to stay at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.
The explosive report of Cruz not receiving help from the school district when he requested it before carrying out the shooting comes after several other reports indicative that there was a slew of disturbing comments made by the shooter.
As noted by the Conservative Daily Post, transcripts from an FBI tip-line reveal a woman warned one month before the shooting that Cruz was “going to explode.”
A girl who was reportedly close to Cruz said she told the FBI that she was terrified the 19-year-old shooter would “get into a school and just shoot the place up.”
Transcripts of her phone call with a bureau operator revealed that another credible tip was made prior to the massacre and nothing was done about it. Apparently, a very gruesome act was reported, but nothing was done.
The FBI was warned twice, the Broward County Sheriff’s Office reportedly received 39 calls about Cruz’s dangerous behavior, and the school district reportedly refused to give Cruz help after he requested it.
As many have argued, the warning signs were there, and many officials and departments failed to take serious action prior to the shooting that took a horrific number of lives.