MRI Magnets Lead To Bizarre Death

PUBLISHED: 4:37 PM 30 Jan 2018
UPDATED: 4:38 PM 30 Jan 2018

Oxygen Tank And MRI Machine, Hospital Struggles To Explain Bizarre Death

This story is very strange. Why was this man allowed to enter the room?

This machine has been made to save lives, not take take them.

There are whole websites created for those with an interest in odd and unusual deaths. Tv shows have cropped up featuring the topic and Facebook groups even exist for those curious enough. One story out of India will certainly be talked about in all of these circles as a grim reality becomes known.

France’s AFP news outlet has confirmed that an “Indian man died after being sucked into an MRI machine.” This happened as he was simply paying a visit to “a relative at a hospital in Mumbai.” Rajesh Maru, 32, is said to have been “yanked towards the machine by its magnetic force” almost as soon as he entered the room!

Maru was carrying an “oxygen cylinder,” which is, of course, metal. To some, this does not seem like enough to cause such a terrible scene as was observed, though this seems to have been the case.

We have arrested a doctor and another junior staff member under section 304 of the Indian penal code for causing death due to negligence,” declared Mumbai police spokesman Deepak Deora.

Nair Hospital was the scene of the freakish nightmare which found that “the man had died from inhaling liquid oxygen that leaked from the cylinder.” That cylinder was thought to have been damaged when it struck the machine, a theory that is being investigated still.

Ramesh Bharmal, the dean of the hospital, said that CCTV footage is also being studied in order to ascertain just what happened.

It has also been learned that “the victim’s uncle said Maru had been asked to carry the cylinder by the junior staff member” that the M.R.I. machine had been shut off.

The ward boy who was supposed to prevent such incidents told my family members to go inside when the machine was turned on. We are shocked and devastated,” confessed Jitendra Maru.

This is certainly a costly error as the state government of Maharashtra “announced compensation of 500,000 rupees ($7,870) for the victim’s family.” Still, no amount of money will eliminate the pain and grief that this mishap has caused.

It remains a shame that some people are about to face some very serious charges, lose their careers, and perhaps be tried on some variation of negligent murder charges, but that seems to be the case.

In the future, perhaps science may wish to find a way to make it more clear when the machine is on or to even make it impossible for anyone to come near the device without some kind of protocol being met.

If this sounds extreme, it may be, but not nearly as extreme as this most unusual of deaths have been. It must be studied so that this device meant to save lives never takes anyone before their time ever again.

Sources: The Conservative Daily PostAFP