Marine Killed

PUBLISHED: 10:19 PM 7 Jun 2018

Marine Vet And Girlfriend Murdered, One Year Later Still No Answers

The entire case is baffling.

In this paradise-like setting the couple lost their lives.

A year ago, U.S. Marine veteran Drew DeVoursney, 36, and his Canadian girlfriend, Francesca Matus, 52, were killed as they departed “a bar in the Central American country of Belize,” as Fox News remembered in a new piece today. The vet from Georgia and his girlfriend still have not had their murders solved, either, a fact that haunts the local community.

The pair were leaving Scotty’s Bar and Grill in Corozal last April. Matus’ car was found in a sugar cane field only 10 miles from that establishment. From there, the case has gotten only colder and colder. Strange, unanswered question remain even now, a year removed from the killing. Some pundits wonder if the very system itself has not been bought.

The bodies of the two lovers were not located for a week after they went missing. The corpses turned up on a road that was near the nation’s border with Mexico. The dead bodies “showed signs of strangulation and tape was found on their wrists,” police reports have revealed.

There has been nothing — no closure for the families,” lamented Colin McGowan to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. He is the co-owner of Scotty’s Bar and Grill.

DeVoursney was stationed in Fallujah back in 2004 and was famous for rocking out “Lynyrd Skynyrd and Allman Brothers songs during his Iraqi deployment.” He and his friend, Brandon Barfield, “survived rocket-propelled grenade attacks” together. Barfield informed the media that DeVoursney “bought five acres near Corozal Bay, and planned to develop a vacation home on it.”

In other words, the man seemed to have everything in the world going well for him. His future looked bright.

He was my brother,” said the murdered man’s friend. They used to watch Florida State University games together, and Barfield said, “I think about him every day.

He thought about him so often that he started a GoFundMe page to hire investigators to look for DeVoursney once we went missing.

A person of interest was spoken to but that led nowhere. A petty thief from a local casino was also talked to, a conversation that led to nothing helpful, either.

It’s been real, real quiet and frustrating,” confessed Char DeVoursney, the veteran’s grieving mother.

Thankfully, the law did not rush to pin the guilt on the first person who raised suspicion, a tactic that is sometimes used when high profile cases start creating a negative buzz for police departments. It should be remembered that each person weeded out is one step taken towards finding the real killer.

As attention returns again to this baffling case, a renewed interest could result in a tip, and from there, justice. The family of those killed are hoping that it happens sooner rather than later.