PUBLISHED: 5:44 PM 14 Nov 2017

Man Vs. Beast: Novice Suffer Battles Shark In An Epic Encounter

Dr. Fry (pictured) is lucky to be alive.

Dr. Fry (pictured) is lucky to be alive.

Dr. Fry (pictured) is lucky to be alive.

Whenever a new hobby or interest is undertaken, it can seem daunting. For instance, surfing is not an easy sport to learn, even for those who have skateboarded or snowboarded in their past. That said, if battling man-eating monsters is a prerequisite for surfing mastery, one novice has a very bright future in the sport, as Yahoo News confirms today.

They report that beginner Charlie Fry “mastered a pro’s move” as he “punched a shark on the nose to escape its jaws.” Considering that many sharks attack with their eyes closed, any contact that is unusual will often cause the deadly beasts to flee, a fact that this surfer is not going to soon forget.

Fry did not come out of the battle too badly beaten, either. He is said to have endured “superficial puncture wounds on his right shoulder and upper arm.” This was likely from the skin of the shark, not its teeth.

Many people are just happy to make it out of the water “only” missing a limb after such an encounter!

The British doctor who enjoys the new sport said that “he had recently watched a YouTube video in which Australian professional surfer Mick Fanning” talked about how he survived a similar attack in 2015 and he put that knowledge to good use when it happened to him.

So when it happened, I was like: ‘Just do what Mick did. Just punch it in the nose,” said Fry.

The man whose life was literally saved by YouTube also added, “So Mick, if you’re watching or listening, I owe you a beer. Thank you very much.”

Sharks or no sharks, Fry plans to return to the sport that he loves.

Sharks or no sharks, Fry plans to return to the sport that he loves.

The twenty-five-year-old starting surfer was with three other doctors (so if it had gone worse, he was prepared, it seems) as he was “was attacked off Avoca Beach” about 60 miles from Sydney, Austrailia.

Fry talks more about the shark attack and says, “I was out surfing and I got this massive thud on my right-hand side; it completely blindsided me. I thought it was a friend goofing around. I turned and I saw this shark come out of the water and breach its head.”

He adds, “So I just punched it in the face with my left hand and then managed to scramble back on my board, shout at me friends and luckily a wave came, so I just sort of surfed the wave in.”

So, we have established that he is a good enough surfer to not fall off of the board when he most needed to surf in. At least that was in his favor on his most harrowing of days.

Fry admits that he did not know that he was injured at all. “I didn’t really notice it at the time because when you’re surfing, all I’m thinking was, ‘I’m about to die. I’m literally about to die,'” he confessed.

A look at what was suffered.

A look at what was suffered.

So I thought … ‘get in as fast as possible, ride the wave for as long as you can and then just start paddling for your life,” continued the doctor.

Authorities closed the beach for 24 hours and the Australian Broadcasting Corporation has confirmed that lifeguards “spotted the 3-meter (10-foot) shark that attacked Fry close to shore and would use drones on Tuesday to check that it had left the area.

Fry is no quitter, and while he can not return to the water for a week due his injuries (salt water on cuts does not feel very good), he has every intention of returning to the sport that he has only begun to master.

One thing is for sure: no big wave, wipe out, or reef bump is going to worry this surfer much after what he faced.

Source: Yahoo News