After Empire actor Jussie Smollett claimed that two unknown racist-homophobic white men attacked him on January 29, poured bleach on him and placed a rope around his neck shouting ‘this is MAGA country’ in highly liberal Chicago, police have slowly discovered the truth. And it is quite different than the actor claimed.
Chicago police confirmed yesterday that detectives investigating the ‘crime’ are talking to two people in connection with the claim. Those men are NOT white.
“Multiple sources have told ABC7 Eyewitness News that police are investigating whether Smollett and the two men staged the attack allegedly because Smollett” was being written off the show.
Sources have denied that Smollett was being canned from “Empire,” but according to sources, he and his team failed to appear before investigators yesterday.
Chicago police told reporters, “Police are investigating whether the two individuals committed the attack – or whether the attack happened at all.”
Twentieth Century Fox Television and Fox Entertainment released a statement saying, “The idea that Jussie Smollett has been, or would be, written off of EMPIRE is patently ridiculous. He remains a core player on this very successful series and we continue to stand behind him.”
However, one of the persons of interest appeared on “Empire.”
“The law enforcement official also told ABC News that the homes of the persons of interest were raided Wednesday night. Police removed shoes, electronic devices and other items they believe could help them determine if the two people played any role in the assault.”
“I was walking in the alley. One police car stopped in the alley, and they told me to go inside the house. By then maybe five minutes later, there were like 20 police right here by the door,” said Jaime Figueroa, neighbor.
Neighbors said they believe the men, who are Nigerian, are brothers who grew up in that apartment, and have lived there for years. They apparently went to Nigeria to visit family on the day after the attack, and according to neighbors, have long wanted to be actors.
Chicago police said they “cannot confirm any of those reports,” and no charges have yet been filed. The two were picked up Wednesday night at O’Hare International Airport, police said.
Smollett’s alleged attack raised immediate questions.
Police said they have not found surveillance video that shows the attack. But earlier in the investigation, they did release grainy surveillance images of two possible persons of interest.
Smollett spoke exclusively with Robin Roberts on “Good Morning America” Thursday. He reflected on what happened to him that morning and what has happened to him since.
“It’s the attackers, but also the attacks,” he said, adding of those who don’t believe his story, “It’s not necessarily that you don’t believe that this is the truth, you don’t even want to see the truth.”
.@fox32news has learned from @Chicago_Police that the 2 persons of interests they are talking to were an extra on #Empire and his close friend. They were picked up at the airport and are the ones in surveillance video.
— Rafer Weigel (@RaferWeigel) February 14, 2019
This information is according to family who says home was ransacked. I asked family why they think police picked the two brothers up for questioning and they replied by saying the men left for #Nigeria the day of the attack. @cbschicago
— Charlie De Mar (@CharlieDeMar) February 14, 2019