According to a new report, House Intelligence Committee Chairman Devin Nunes (R-CA) is next planning to investigate the role that former CIA Director John Brennan and some other Obama intelligence officials played in the promotion of the controversial anti-Trump dossier. Regarding this situation, former Secret Service agent Dan Bongino said on Fox and Friends Monday morning: “My sources tell me John Brennan is in a world of trouble right now.”
The information was initially revealed byRealClearInvestigation’s Paul Sperry. Apparently, a senior investigator told him that the third phase of the Nunes’ investigation will focus primarily on the “involvement of the intelligence community.” Naturally, what seems quite curious about this situation is that Brennan signed a contract with NBC News and MSNBC last week to be their “senior national security and intelligence analyst.”
In addition to Brennan, Nunes will also focus on former Director of National Intelligence James Clapper, former Ambassador to the United Nations Samantha Power, Obama’s first CIA Director Leon Panetta, former National Security Adviser Susan Rice, among others.
According to Sperry, the senior investigator revealed that Brennan did more than anyone else to “promulgate the dirty dossier.” Additionally, this person explained that the former CIA Director “politicized and effectively weaponized what was false intelligence against Trump.”
As everyone knows, the first part of the Nunes’ investigation revealed in the controversial memo a couple of weeks ago that the FBI used the anti-Trump dossier to obtain a surveillance warrant on Carter Page, the former Trump campaign foreign policy adviser.
The memo also pointed out that the Bureau used a story from Yahoo News to obtain the warrant, despite the fact that the anti-Trump dossier author Christopher Steele was also the source of that piece. As reported in several articles, Christopher Steele is a former MI6 spy.
Apparently, the second part of the Nunes investigation will focus on the role that the Obama State Department played in the Bureau’s investigation into the Trump campaign.
Since the information of the second phase was revealed, a former State Department official named Jonathan Winer has come forward and admitted that he passed on a report given to him by Hillary Clinton friend Sidney Blumenthal to the British agent, who then gave it to the Bureau. Winer made this revelation through a Washington Post op-ed.
According to Sperry, different sources pointed out that Brennan talked up the dossier to the press and some Democratic leaders during the campaign.
In addition, these sources told Sperry that the former CIA Director fed allegations about contacts between then-candidate Donald Trump and Russia directly to the Bureau, and pressed then-FBI Director James Comey to conduct an investigation of several members of the Trump campaign.
Apparently, the former CIA Director briefed then-Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) in August 2016 that Kremlin operatives were backing Trump and that the Bureau would have to take the lead in an investigation.
Brennan explained that the reason was simply that the FBI is the federal agency in charge of domestic intelligence, and unlike the Central Intelligence Agency, they can easily spy on American citizens.
Two days after that conversation, Reid wrote a letter to Comey demanding he open an investigation targeting “individuals tied to Trump” in order to know whether they coordinated with Kremlin operatives to influence the presidential election.
Apparently, the then-Senate Minority leader specifically named Carter Page and repeated an unfounded claim from the controversial anti-Trump dossier.
Just two months after that, Comey signed an application for a surveillance warrant on the former Trump campaign adviser. In late October, Reid pressed Comey again, accusing him of sitting on delicate information about very close ties and coordination between the Kremlin, Donald Trump, and his top advisers.
According to Sperry, congressional investigators told him that Reid was specifically referring to the anti-Trump dossier claims that the former CIA Director passed on to him.
Sperry pointed out that these congressional investigators also said that Brennan sought also made sure contents from the salacious dossier were attached to an official daily intelligence briefing for Obama in January. Basically, this happened just a couple of weeks before Trump was sworn in.
Believe it or not, that briefing was eventually leaked to CNN and some other media outlets, who had refrained to report on the salacious dossier earlier. Soon after that, Buzzfeed would publish the dossier.
According to Sperry, Nunes plans to call the former CIA Director and other former Obama administration officials before the committee, based on a newly-obtained information.
In addition to denying who paid for the anti-Trump dossier, Brennan has also denied having played any kind of role in the intelligence community’s assessment that Russia meddled in the presidential election to help Donald Trump.
What seems quite interesting is that congressional investigators also told Sperry that a still-classified version of the January 2017 intelligence report clearly contradicts that claim.
Sperry reported that investigators will also question the former Director of National Intelligence James Clapper, who claimed that there were other sources that corroborated the controversial dossier.
Apparently, he will be questioned about the identity of those other sources.