Senator Josh Hawley revealed over the weekend that he has drafted motions to force the testimony of Joe Biden, his scandal-ridden son Hunter, Adam Schiff and the so-called ‘whistleblower’ if the Senate votes to approve witnesses in the impeachment trial.
His move came after President Trump’s lawyers eviscerated the partisan hack job of the democrat impeachment articles.
The Daily Wire outlined the six key truths that illuminate the fact that President Trump has done nothing wrong:
- “The transcript shows that the president did not condition either security assistance or a meeting on anything. The paused security assistance funds aren’t even mentioned on the call.”
- “President Zelensky and other Ukrainian officials have repeatedly said that there was no quid pro quo and no pressure on them to review anything.”
- “President Zelensky and high-ranking Ukrainian officials did not even know, did not even know, the security assistance was paused until the end of August, over a month after the July 25 call.”
- “Not a single witness testified that the President himself said that there was any connection between any investigations and security assistance, a presidential meeting, or anything else.”
- “The security assistance flowed on September 11 and a presidential meeting took place on September 25 without the Ukrainian government announcing any investigations.”
- “The Democrats blind drive to impeach the president does not and cannot change the fact, as attested to by the Democrats own witnesses, that President Trump has been a better friend and stronger supporter of Ukraine than his predecessor.”
Of course, democrats are demanding witnesses in the Senate, especially John Bolton, after a ‘convenient’ and suspicious leak of his new book claims that the president told him to withhold aid. So, naturally, they are now screaming for witnesses, although they absolutely forbade any presidential defense in the House.
And, Biden also recently sent a memo to the ‘press’ instructing them to call his extortion of the Ukraine a “conspiracy theory,” and the media has complied.
Breitbart News reported on the drafted subpoenas:
Hawley would also seek communications among the whistleblower, Schiff and his staff, transcripts of Atkinson’s congressional testimony, communications between the House impeachment managers and Democratic presidential candidates as well as documents related to Biden’s drive to oust former Ukrainian prosecutor Viktor Shokin.
The Missouri Republican’s pledge mirrors one made by Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY), who earlier this month threatened to force a vote on subpoenaing Hunter Biden and the so-called “whistleblower” if Republicans grant the Democrats’ demand for more witnesses.
Paul explained, per Politico:
If you vote against Hunter Biden, you’re voting to lose your election, basically. Seriously. That’s what it is. If you don’t want to vote and you think you’re going to have to vote against Hunter Biden, you should just vote against witnesses, period.
Hawley’s motion is likely to be opposed by Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC), who has come out against subpoenaing Hunter Biden over concerns that the move will extend the trial longer. He said:
To my Republican friends, you may be upset about what happened in Ukraine with the Bidens, but this is not the venue to litigate that. I need some Republicans who would say, as much as I want to know more about Burisma and the Bidens, this is not the venue.
It is unclear if moderate senators such as Sens. Mitt Romney (R-UT), Susan Collins (R-ME), and Lisa Murkowski (R-AK) would support Hawley’s motion — if it meant the approval of subpoenas for witnesses on the Democrats’ wishlist: Acting White House Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney and former Trump White House National Security Advisor John Bolton.
“I think it’s very likely I’ll be in favor of witnesses, but I haven’t made a decision finally yet and I won’t until the testimony is completed,” Romney said Saturday, according to CNN.
We’ll see where this ends.