Del Monte has taken a blow after it was confirmed by the CDC that vegetable trays from the popular American company have been infected with parasites that, rather than giving an extra boost to the nutritionally minded eater, gives them “explosive diarrhea” instead.
As reported by CBS Chicago, the CDC established that “212 cases of cyclosporiasis – an intestinal infection caused by the cyclospora parasite,” were documented since July 5, right before the festive birthday party for Uncle Sam. Del Monte Fresh Produced recalled “6 oz., 12 oz., and 28 oz. vegetable trays containing fresh broccoli, cauliflower, celery sticks, carrots, and dill dip” way back on June 15, but some unlucky eaters did not get the memo it seems. Everyone is being told to throw the food out if found and to by NO MEANS eat it.
The product is sold all over the Midwest, in clear plastic containers, according to the company. These, if seen with the problem date (which due to the nature of food spoilage is growing more unlikely by the day) should not be purchased nor eaten, but promptly avoided, as the FDA recall says.
They also write that “The recalled products were distributed to: Kwik Trip, Kwik Star, Demond’s, Sentry, Potash, Meehan’s, Country Market, Food Max Supermarket and Peapod in Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, and Wisconsin.”
People who eat the veggies contract “cyclosporiasis” can expect “frequent, sometimes explosive” diarrhea.
As if that unpleasantry were not enough, contamination can also cause “nausea, fatigue, and several other flu-like symptoms” that can last a month. This is particularly true for people who don’t seek the help of a doctor.
The problem is severe enough that seven people have been put into the hospital so far, but thankfully, no one has died. People in the modern world forget that dysentery often can be fatal since it can lead to dehydration and other health issues. It was once a common cause of death in the U.S. and elsewhere.
This does remind everyone, however, to really wash off all fruit and vegetables before consumption.
After all, nothing ruins a good summer cookout like a mad dash to the restroom.
— WUSA9 (@wusa9) July 9, 2018